Funfetti is just what it sounds like.
Fun. (fun fun fun fun!)
So that’s why I decided to make them for my friend’s birthday party — AND it doubled as this month’s Secret Recipe Club recipe! This month I was assigned to Erin’s blog, The Spiffy Cookie. Let me say upfront that Erin has amazing, amazing, amazing recipes. I loved the look and sound of every single one of them, and if I had time, I would make every single one of them.
And maybe I will
But back to the cupcakes.
I know that it’s really easy to buy a box of Funfetti cake mix at the store. They’ll be fine. But that’s just the thing. They’re just fine. They’re just alright.
If you go with homemade? You can taste the butter when you bite into it. You get nothing but the fun fluffiness of a very sprinkley and vanilla-y cake.
In other words, nothing but joy.
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- For the cupcakes: Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in another bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in the assorted sprinkles.
- Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the chocolate frosting: Melt the butter in a medium bowl. Stir in the cocoa until dissolved. Alternately add confectioners’ sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
My Two Cents
Did I mention that this tastes like childhood?
This tastes like childhood.
And childhood was fun
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE ALL OF THE RECIPES FROM TODAY’S SRC REVEAL DAY!