And here we are with another Secret Recipe Club recipe! This month I was assigned to Tara’s Multicultural Table. Tara has a fabulous blog. She’s not afraid of trying new things and has such a vast array of recipes on her blog that are from around the globe. I love this! I love trying new recipes and exploring new flavors.
After debating over whether or not I should make her Korean noodles or Mexican Noodle Soup, I ultimately decided on the soup. It looked warm. Comforting. Perfect for the season. Plus, an added bonus was that this was so incredibly simple. Just a few steps — and in under 30 minutes I was slurping it down at the table.
Mexican Tomato Noodle Soup
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, diced
- 7 oz whole wheat angel hair pasta (thin spaghetti — 1/2 of a normal 13 oz package), broken into pieces
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- chopped cilantro (for topping)
- chopped fresh or canned tomatoes OR salsa (for topping)
- cheddar cheese (for topping)
- Place tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapenos into a blender or food processor. Blend until it is a smooth puree.
- Add the pureed vegetables to a medium saucepan along with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then add in the noodles. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the noodles are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with cheese, cilantro, and diced tomatoes/salsa.
My Two Cents
This soup is simple and to the point. It’s not frilly. It doesn’t have 18 ingredients. And I like that. I like a soup that’s easy to whip up and enjoy on a cool evening in front of the TV (watching Wheel of Fortune, no doubt!)
I made a few slight changes to the recipe. I added jalapenos, since I didn’t feel there would be enough kick to it. And I liked the subtle undertone of the seeded jalapenos (the seeds are where most of the heat lies — leave them in if you want this extra spicy!) I also added a dollop of salsa to it. Because hey, the title says it’s Mexican. So let’s give it a little more zing. Also cheese. This soup was screaming “give me cheeeeeese.”
Thanks, Tara, for yet another great SRC recipe! Eager to see what October will have in store for me next month