After the holiday vacation I made a giant Target run to stock up on everything — including freezer and pantry items. And after indulging so much during the holidays, I wanted to stock up on protein that wasn’t fatty beef or meat of any kind, really. And I didn’t want to torture my husband with just beans and tofu for the week, so I threw a bag of frozen tilapia into my cart to experiment with later in the week.
And when the time came to make the tilapia, I decided I didn’t want to just pan fry it with some pepper and lemon juice. I wanted to spice things up with this tilapia! Cooking Light came to the rescue with this creative spice rub for the fish.
Best part? It takes all of 15 minutes to throw this meal together. And it was so, so, so scrumptious. With a little spice and a lot of cumin, it was the perfect blend.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tilapia fillets (fresh or frozen — if frozen, defrost according to package directions first)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- Rub oil evenly over both sides of the fish. Combine cumin, salt, garlic powder, and peppers and rub over both sides of the fish.
- Arrange fish on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 5-7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with your favorite starch and greens (We chose sweet potato home fries and peas.)
My Two Cents: Broiling fish is the easiest and fastest way to cook fish. Definitely using this method from now on! The tilapia came out with just the right amount of flaky-ness.