Amy always takes gorgeous photos of food that has me wanting to just take a bite out of my computer screen.
But it wasn’t too difficult for me to choose a recipe for the SRC this month. I was in the mood for dessert. Specifically Nutella. And voila! Amy had a beautiful looking Nutella thumbprint cookie recipe on the blog. Bite-sized chocolate cookies with a dollop of Nutella on top?
Who can resist?
That’s right, no one!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Beat the butter in a mixer at medium speed until it’s light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stir in egg yolks with a whisk, then whisk in the instant coffee and vanilla.
- Add the yolk mixture to butter; beat well. Then add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat at low speed just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper and knead until it is smooth and shiny.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls, place on a pan lined with parchment paper. Press your thumb into the center of each ball of dough, leaving an indentation.
- Bake for 10 minutes; let cool completely, then spoon a nice dollop of Nutella into each indentation.
My Two Cents: It’s hard to stop at just one of these little cookies. Let that be a warning to you all. I made these for a little dinner get-together with my siblings, and we polished off the plate of cookies very, very quickly.
Amy originally got this recipe from Cooking Light, and the editors of that magazine are severely sneaky. There isn’t anything healthy about these cookies, except for their size, which in the end means they aren’t healthy at all, because you’ll have eaten about 10 by the end of the night.
But I’ll let it slide, this once, Cooking Light, because these were good.
oh. so. good.
Thanks, Amy, for inspiring me to make these little treats!