For this month’s Secret Recipe Club I was ecstatic to be assigned to The Gingered Whisk. I’ve been following Jenni’s blog for months now. First, her blog and her pictures are beautiful, and I’m always salivating at her posts. I knew I’d have a bounty of wonderful recipes to choose from!
And it was extremely difficult to decide what to make (as is usually the case with SRC blog posts). Should I make a dinner dish? Dessert? Bread? Appetizer?
In the end I was in the mood for a chicken dish. I happened to have some drumsticks in the freezer, and when I found myself drooling over Jenni’s Honey Baked Chicken, I knew I had a winner.
- 1/3 cup butter. melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard (I used Gulden’s)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 lb chicken (legs, thighs, or a combo of both — with the skin and bone on. I used just legs)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, honey, mustard, and curry.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Place the chicken in the dish in a single layer. Pour the sauce over the chicken and place the dish in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, basting the chicken 2-3 times throughout the cooking time.
- Serve with your favorite green vegetables and starch. I chose roasted Brussels sprouts and mashed sweet potatoes.
My Two Cents: When I pulled this out of the oven I said breathlessly, “Wow, these are beautiful.” Not only did the chicken come out a luscious golden brown, the smell that filled my kitchen was magical. Honey and butter? Oh. Oh my. The chicken fell off the bone. It was moist. And the curry shined through perfectly, subtly.
Chris licked every bone clean.
Which, as we all know, means it was damn good.