Burgers are not in season.
But they’re in style.
With my stomach.
I’m mildly obsessed with finding new non-beef burger recipes. And when I see one, I immediately want to make one, despite the fact that it’s January, and (finally) cold out.
I found this recipe in a Cooking Light cookbook, and my tastebuds started salivating when reading the ingredients. Feta cheese? Yes. Red onion? Yes. Mint? Yes! Turkey patties alone are dry and meaningless in life, but if you add a little bit of moisture and a lot of flavor, you have one killer burger to feast on.
Oh, and it takes about 30 minutes to make.
Greek Turkey Burgers (From Cooking Light)
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 20 minutes
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained and cut into 1 inch strips
- Place the egg white in a large bowl and lightly beat with a whisk for a few seconds. Add the onion, mint, breadcrumbs, feta cheese, lemon juice, dill, and ground turkey. Stir well. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each one into a 1/2-inch thick patty.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray (or coat with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil). Add patties to pan. Cook the patties 8 minutes on each side, or until they are no longer pink in the center. Turn heat down to medium if they are browning too fast.
- Place patties on buns and top with roasted red peppers. Serve immediately.
My Two Cents: Amazing. That’s the best word I can use for these burgers.
Be sure to follow the recipe exactly as stated. Fresh mint is key here. As is the fresh lemon juice, because that fresh taste transfers to the burgers. It makes them moist and unforgettable.
Also, don’t get the feta cheese pre-crumbled in those little containers. Get the blocks of feta and crumble it yourself. It. Is. So. Much. Better. And. So. Worth. It. You can find a superb selection of cheese at Trader Joe’s for superb prices. Block feta has that perfect tang of salt that you wouldn’t get with the pre-crumbled stuff. And it makes a huge difference in this burger.
I was skeptical about the red peppers on top of the burger at first (no ketchup?!!), but have no fear, they definitely kicked the burgers up yet another notch.
Cooking Light, you’ve done it again.