Push those Kraft and Annie’s boxes that you have aside. This homemade mac and cheese is tastier and healthier than the box. And okay, you do have to bake it for 40 minutes (so I’m cheating a little on the under 30 minutes mark), but it’s only about 25-30 minutes hands on, then you just pop it in the oven and out comes this baked beauty.
It’s the perfect dinner to whip up after a long day at work (plus an added hour at the gym).
Homemade Mac and Cheese (Adapted from The Six O’Clock Scramble)
Prep: 30 min Bake: 40 min
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the milk, salt, and mustard. Set aside.
- Combine the cooked macaroni with the cheddar cheese, butter, and egg in the same pot the macaroni was cooked in. Stir until cheese is completely melted. Add the milk mixture and tomatoes to the macaroni and toss it. Place it in the casserole dish and sprinkle it with remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until it is set.
My Two Cents: Comfort food at its finest. I could easily eat 4 of those 8 servings of this mac and cheese. I really like the addition of the tomatoes. It adds a little bite and a little more health to the dish.
I used the pre-shredded packaged cheese. One bag was the perfect amount for the dish. Don’t waste your time grating unless you have a specific block of cheddar you’re in love with.
Again, even though the total time this takes to make is more than 30 minutes, hands-on is only 30. And if you’re a busy student and need to do some homework, want to do a quick workout, or need to do a few chores around the house, those 40 minutes of baking time will give you the perfect opportunity to do just that.
Serve with your favorite greens. Enjoy! :)