White on white? I’m more of a chocolate on chocolate and chocolate person myself. But this yellow cake with buttercream frosting was exceptional. If you can’t each chocolate (or for some godforsaken reason don’t like it), this is one cake you have to try.
Yellow Cake: (I found this on www.allrecipes.com)
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch pans.
2. Cream together the shortening and the sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl. Add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Then pour evenly into the pans.
4. Bake 35-40 minutes or until the cake is done. (Test by inserting a toothpick in the center–if it comes out clean, it’s done.)
5. Let the cakes cool on a wire rack. While they’re cooking, make the buttercream frosting.
Buttercream Frosting: (This recipe is originally from The Pioneer Woman Cooks)
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
1. Whisk flour into milk in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from the heat and let it cool. Stir in vanilla.
2. While the flour mixture is cooling, cream butter and sugar together in a separate bowl. Then add the cooled mixture to the butter. Beat until it resembles whipped cream.
3. Frost the cake!
My observations: Make sure you check your cakes when they are cooking around the 35 minute mark. The original directions said 45 minutes, but mine were done very early for some reason. You don’t want them to burn! Also, make sure you stir the flour and milk constantly without stopping, otherwise you won’t get a stiff enough mixture to spread on the cake. And FYI, I beat the butter and flour mixture together for a good 5-7 minutes before it resembled whipped cream. So make sure you make that with a mixer–no way this is happening by hand.
Enjoy! Everyone loved it!! I got stuck with the leftovers and had to freeze it to prevent myself from eating it all.