Yesterday was the feast of the big bird, and the only correct way to top off a Thanksgiving dinner is with a homemade apple pie (with homemade crust of course).
Ingredients for Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4-8 tbsp ice water
Directions for Pie Crust
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor (or a hand held mixer works as well) and pulse to mix.
- Add butter pieces and pulse 6-8 times until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea size pieces of butter.
- Add ice water 1 tbsp at a time, pulsing until mixture just begins to clump together
- If you pinch the dough together and it holds, it’s ready. If not, add more water until it does.
- Gently shape the dough into 2 discs
- Knead it enough to form the discs, don’t over-knead–you should be able to see little chunks of butter in the dough
- Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Remove from fridge and spread flour onto cutting board and rolling pin and roll the dough out wide enough to cover the pie dish.
Next, make your filling for the apple pie. I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.
Ingredients for Apple Pie
- Pie crust
- 6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
Directions for Apple Pie
- Line prepared crust in a 9 inch pie plate
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated
- Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits in remaining pastry, place on filling and seal. Crimp edges as desired.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes more or until the top is golden brown.
My mom had this extravagant apple slicer/peeler ma bob, so we used that to slice up some of our apples, but really, it’s just as easy doing it by hand.
And don’t forget to eat a few of these sugar-coated apples before you bake them. So good!
Enjoy your apple pie. After this, you’ll never buy one from the store again ;)